Adding User Roles¶
Roles contain permissions for users to manage the server. They can be reused and they eliminate the overhead of granting permissions to users individually.
Throughout this documentation, we use the following roles that are typically used in many enterprises. You can also define different user roles depending on your requirements.
- admin: The API management provider who hosts and manages the API Gateway and is responsible for creating users in the system, assigning them roles, managing databases, security, etc. The Admin role is also used to access the WSO2 Admin Portal (
https://<APIM_Host>:<APIM_Port>/admin), where you can define workflow tasks, throttling policies, analytics configurations, etc. The Admin role is available by default with the credentials admin/admin. By default, this role contains all the permissions (including super admin permissions) in the permission tree.
- creator: A creator is typically a person in a technical role who understands the technical aspects of the API (interfaces, documentation, versions etc.) and uses the API publisher to provision APIs into the API store. The creator uses the API Store to consult ratings and feedback provided by API users. Creator can add APIs to the store but cannot manage their lifecycle. Governance permission gives to a creator to govern, manage and configure the API artifacts.
- publisher: A person in a managerial role and overlooks a set of APIs across the enterprise and controls the API lifecycle, subscriptions and monetization aspects. The publisher is also interested in usage patterns for APIs and has access to all API statistics.
- subscriber: A user or an application developer who searches the API store to discover APIs and use them. S/he reads the documentation and forums, rates/comments on the APIs, subscribes to APIs, obtains access tokens and invokes the APIs.
Follow the instructions below to create the
subscriber roles in the API Manager for example.
Creator, Publisher and Subscriber roles are available by default in API Manager.
Create user roles¶
- Log in to the management console ( https://<APIM_Host>:<APIM_Port>/admin ) as admin (default credentials are admin/admin).
In the Main menu, click Add under Users and Roles .
Click Add New Role .
Enter the name of the user role (e.g.,
creator) and click Next .
Do the following: In the Domain list, specify the user store where you want to create this role. This list includes the primary user store and any other secondary user stores that are configured for your product. For information on ow user stores (which are repositories storing information about users and roles) are set up and configured, see Configuring User Stores . Enter a unique name for this role. Click Next .
Tip : The Domain drop-down list contains all user stores configured in the system. By default, you only have the PRIMARY user store. To configure secondary user stores, see Configuring Secondary User Stores .
The permissions page opens. Select the permissions according to the role that you create. The table below lists the permissions of the
subscriberroles which are available by default:
Roles Permissions UI creator
- Configure > Governance and all underlying permissions.
- Manage > API > Create
- Manage > Resources > Govern and all underlying permissions
- Manage > API > Publish
- Manage > API > Subscribe
Click Finish once you are done adding permissions.
When a user creates an application and generates application keys, a role is created automatically in the following format.
These roles do not have any permissions assigned to it, but it is used to manage the visibility of the corresponding service provider that is created in the format of
'<username>_<applicationName>_PRODUCTION' within the Key Manager. The created service provider is only visible to users with the latter mentioned role that has been generated automatically. Only if a user with admin privileges assigns the latter mentioned role to a user, will that user be able to view the details of the service provider that is created per application.
Editing or deleting a role¶
If you need to do modifications to a role, select the domain (user store) where the role resides, and then use the relevant links in the Actions column on the Roles screen:
- Rename the role
- Change the default permissions associated with this role
- Assign this role to users
- View the users who are assigned this role
- Delete the role if you no longer need it
If the role is in an external user store to which you are connected in read-only mode, you will be able to view the existing roles but not edit or delete them. However, you can still create new editable roles.
Update before the first startup (recommended)¶
The default role names (
everyone ) can be changed before starting the WSO2 product by editing
<PRODUCT_HOME>/repository/conf/user-mgt.xml . For more information on configuring the system administrator, see Configuring the System Administrator .
<EveryOneRoleName>everyone</EveryOneRoleName> <!-- By default users in this role sees the registry root -->
The following are the changes that need to be made in the configurations above:
Update after the product is used for some time¶
You do not have to do this when updating before the first startup. The following steps guide you through updating the role names:
- Do the configuration changes indicated in the above section .
You need to do the following user store level changes for existing users if you have changed the role names as mentioned earlier.
If you are connected to
JDBCUserStoreManageryou need to update the
UM_USER_ROLEtable with the existing users after changing the
everyonerole names. Also if you have changed the permission of
UM_ROLE_PERMISSIONhas to be updated with the permissions to the new role.
The schema can be located by referring to the data source defined in the user-mgt.xml file. The data source definition can be found under
If you are connected to
ReadWriteLdapUserStoreManager, you need to populate the members of the previous admin role to the new role under the Groups. For more information, see Configuring User Stores .
After the changes, restart the server.